I’m sorry, what? Did you just say “won’t harm humans”? That’s right, folks. Our friend DDT was approved by the FDA in 1945 as safe, safe, safe. And we believed them because the FDA was supposed to research and vet and do all its due diligence. But sometimes, you have to wait years for awful, carcinogenic side effects to creep up. And they did! The FDA waited until 1972 to put the ix-nay on it. So maybe think twice next time the government mandates/forces/strongly encourages you to trust the FDA, especially if they’re in a hurry.
At least it killed silverfish, like it promised.
Companies don’t often know exactly what they’re peddling, and collateral damage happens. Just remember, no entity or person (despite funding the NIH and Wuhan lab) has all the answers. Some things take years to uncover.
Let’s just be happy that the FDA does eventually recall items, often due to “undeclared allergens” but also to being packaged in what appear to be drink containers. Didn’t they know that before they sent them out? It’s important to keep Americans safe. So how often do they recall? Always. In fact, a month doesn’t go by that they don’t recall items. Let’s look at just a portion of what was recalled over three months just this year:
July 2021 FDA Recalls
- GENOSYL DS; Nitric Oxide Delivery System has been recalled by Vero Biotech due to software error.
- Twelve Lots of CHANTIX® (Varenicline) Tablets have been recalled by Pfizer due to N-Nitroso Varenicline content above ADI level.
- NEUTROGENA® and AVEENO® Aerosol Sunscreen Products have been recalled by Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. due to the presence of benzene.
- Injectable Semorelin / Ipamorelin 3mg and injectable AOD-9604 3mg have been recalled by Innoveix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. due to a lack of sterility assurance.
- LeadCare II, LeadCare Plus, and LeadCare Ultra Blood Lead Tests have been recalled by Magellan Diagnostics, Inc. due to risk of falsely low results.
- Lyra SARS-CoV-2 Assay (M120) has been recalled by Quidel due to risk of false negative results.
- Angiographic Guidewire Component has been recalled by Medtronic Vascular due to being nonsterile.
- One Lot of Topotecan Injection 4 mg/4 mL (1 mg/mL) has been recalled by Teva Pharmaceuticals due to the presence of particulate matter.
- Limar Hand Sanitizer Packaged in 4 oz Bottles has been recalled by Ardil Commercial due to being packaged in bottles that resemble drink containers.
June 2021 FDA Recalls
- Medical Convenience Kits have been recalled by Avid Medical due to risk of fungal contamination.
- Surgical Procedure Packs have been recalled by DeRoyal Industries due to mislabeled lidocaine.
- Prairie Wolf Distillery Hand Sanitizer Packed in 16.9 Oz. and 20 Oz Bottles has been recalled by Prairie Wolf Spirits, Inc. due to resembling drink containers.
- Durisan Non Alcohol Antimicrobial Hand Sanitizer products have been recalled by Sanit Technologies LLC d/b/a Durisan due to microbial contamination.
- Jelco Hypodermic Needle-Pro Fixed Needle Insulin Syringes have been recalled by Smiths Medical due to skewed odd-number line graduation markings on syringe barrels.
- Philips Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (Bi-Level PAP), Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), and mechanical ventilator devices have been recalled by Philips due to potential health risks related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam component in these devices.
- Metformin HCl Extended-Release Tablets, USP 750 mg, have been recalled by Viona Pharmaceuticals Inc. due to the detection of N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) impurity.
- Innova SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Qualitative Test has been recalled by Innova Medical Group due to the risk of false test results.
- FiberCel Fiber Viable Bone Matrix (“FiberCel”), Donor Lot Number NMDS210011, has been recalled by Aziyo Biologics, Inc. due to possible post-surgical infection.
- Alaris Infusion Pump Module 8100 Bezel has been recalled by the Biomed Guys due to possible cracked or separated bezel repair posts.
May 2021 FDA Recalls
- SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kit and Leccurate SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Rapid Test Kit (Colloidal Gold Immunochromatography) have been recalled by Lepu Medical Technology due to risk of false results.
- Alaris Infusion Pump Module 8100 Bezel >has been recalled by Step-Har Medical due to possible separated bezel repair posts.
- Medical Convenience Kits have been recalled by Medical Action Industries, Inc. 306 due to risk of fungal contamination.
- VICI VENOUS STENT System and VICI RDS VENOUS STENT System have been recalled by Boston Scientific Corporation due to possible stent migration.
- Durisan Non Alcohol Antimicrobial Hand Sanitizer has been recalled by Sanit Technologies LLC d/b/a Durisan due to bacterial contamination.
- Assurity™ and Endurity™ Pacemakers have been recalled by Abbott (formally known as “St. Jude Medical”) due to the risk of electrical shortages.
- Medically Minded Hand Sanitizer has been recalled by Global Sanitizers due to methanol contamination.
- HeartWare HVAD System Instructions for Use and Patient Manual have been recalled by Medtronic to update safety information.
- Goose Creek Hand Sanitizer and COCO TKO Hand Sanitizer have been recalled by Scentsational Soaps & Candles, Inc. due to the presence of wood alcohol and other contaminants.
- DIBAR Labs Hand Sanitizer has been recalled by Dibar Nutricional S. de R.L. De C.V. due to the presence of wood alcohol, or methanol.
- Levemir®, Tresiba®, Fiasp®, Novolog® and Xultophy® product samples have been recalled by Novo Nordisk due to improper storage temperature conditions.
- 0.5% Bupivacaine Hydrochloride Injection, USP 30 mL and 1% Lidocaine HCl Injection, USP 30 mL, have been recalled by Hospira, Inc. due to product mislabeling.
- Sterile Water for Injection, USP, 100 mL, has been recalled by Hospira, Inc. due to the potential presence of particulate matter.
The FDA certainly stays on its toes! Recalling items sounds exhausting.
Thanks to https://mcintyrelaw.com/blog/recent-fda-recall-list for the list.
And thanks to the FDA for recalling DDT.